Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munro Bagging

Widdler
    We have just moved to West Coast of Scotland (Hurahhh!) And we started doing the odd Munro or 2, however we are now totally addicted and psyched up to do the lot!

Do you need to get youre name down with any organisation to prove that youve done them all, or is it just a personal thing?

The SMC (as apposed to the MCoS) look after this one, have a look here.

Oh, and the SMC also have a nice CD-ROM of GPS data sets (if you're in to that kind of thing) of routes to all the Monros (and lower not so 'important' hills) here. At just over a tenner, much better value than Trail's 'Best Routes'.

Monros? Damn, bloody typing, should of course have been Monroes :-)

Would guess there's largely an element of trust, and would have thought you would be ok if you keep some kind of record.

Afterall it's not as if you're able to take a picture on the top of each, one cloud looks very much like another.

No doubt munro284 will correct me

Mike....now now!

Mini Goon
    I think your quite right actually, Lloyd. It's all about conscience really. I would also advise to keep a record of dates etc.

Mini Goon
    Dammit, check before submit - should be you're quite right.

Widdler
    Having just looked at the link above, (SMC) it seems that if you keep a log of dates and stuff, as well as get a photo of yourself at the top of youre final one, then youre OK. Just wanted to make sure before we did loads and then had to start again!!!

No need to have your efforts validated by a bunch of geriatric misogynists, Sarah, just go ahead and do it and enjoy it! Top name by the way - made up?

oooooooooooooooooo someone doesn't like the SMC

Mini Goon
    I don't like the SMC - keep moving the bloody goalposts! You don't have to register, hence the name. Just make sure you enjoy them while you're doing each one & don't think too much about finishing them. All to soon, it's over.

I have a list of dates and who I was with for each one (though 2 hill days aren't exact dates). Apart from a few photos there's no proof I was there so it's all down to honesty.

There's a couple of hills I want to go back to to check I really got to the top (Beinn a'Chroinn at Crianlarich and Tom na Gruagach on Alligian) and repeating that pair will be no great hardship. Hopefully I'll be on top of Beinn Sgritheal with my in five or ten years' time with a lot of mates and a few wee drams then walk down to a party in the Glenelg Inn. In the meantime I hope there's a few score of hill days in front of me, some corkers to do, plenty "in the bag" to repeat and a whole lot of other hills that don't half look good...

Came across the site below recently, it has a list of Munro completists:-

scotland online outdoors

Stuart, I guess you must have moved back north of the border since doing your PHD?

Yep, I'm in Edinburgh now, Lloyd. PhD not quite finished but getting there.

It would be gettting there a wee bit quicker but I am making the most of Kyle of Lochalsh and Ullapool being (just) doable in four hours. A good run from Leeds to Perth was about four hours...

Mini Goon
    Stuart, I admire your honesty. When I suggest such things like that I get castrated. Looks like you've got a conscience, too.

Beinn a'Chroin was an autumn thunderstorm after An Castiel and we legged it off there as fast as possible. I don't remember which top we went to but know I was only on one of them. I'll combine it with a trip up An Castiel and Ben Chabhair at some point, maybe from the south side for a bit of variety.

Alligan was another filthy day, Corie nan Laoigh was a torrent, we popped up onto the ridge and were hit by rain like a breaking wave of water, we found a cairn that we couldn't see anything higher from (not saying a lot on a day that horrid) and baled out ASAP. So I still want to walk the full ridge and the Horns. I'd imagine most people would agree that being "forced" into a day on a hill in Torridon isn't much of a hardship!

Mini Goon
    The summit of Tom na Gruagach is a trig. point & Beinn a' Chroin got moved to the west a bit. We traversed it from the An Caisteal col on a clear day & took every top & cairn. Do them all you can't go wrong. Alligin again will certainly be no hardship. Do the Tom first & save the horns till last. You're quite right to make sure, though. Here's an example:

Beinn Dorain, April this year. Thick snow on the ground, white out. Plenty of footsteps up to the first, big cairn. Beyond it, virgin snow, all the way to the summit. How many will go back?

Same with Slioch but I got caned for mentioning it, I remember.

Happy ticking!

I am much more bothered by the Alligan one than Ben a'Chroin. I know I got to one of the listed tops on Ben a'Chroin and must have been very near the other one, if the time comes and I haven't repeated Ben a'Chroin I wouldn't feel like a fraud. I was at least almost there, would be nice to go back but if I don't it's not something to loose sleep over.

Alligan was with a group of people on a student walking club trip, we found the first cairn we could, told them it was the first top and got out of there as quickly as possible. I don't remember whether it was a cairn or a trig point, just that it was on the edge of a big cliff and not far from the top of the ascent corrie so there's a reasonable chance it could have been the ring contours to the W of the true top.