Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naked or not?

Come on then I want some opinions, when out on top of a big hill camping for the night in less than tropical temperatures how many of you snuggle down in your technical sleeping bags with clothes on? Or do you do as my other half claims is the best way and go naked in your sleeping bags?
    I am always too cold, even in his lovely vango omega 350 to part with my longjohns and thermal top, but he always says that I'd be more warm naked!! Is this a conspiracy to play some hugely funny practical joke on me or do the sleeping bags work better if you have no clothes on???
    You must forgive me I am blond.......

Jo

I am led to believe that if you are using a down sleeping bag naked is the way to go as your body heat warms up the down. If you wear clothes the body heat is trapped and the down obviously doesn't warm up - so naked it has to be.

I assume then this is not the case with synthetic bags?

It does depend on the thermal behavior of your bag.

If it is down like filling as with down it is best that your body warms up the loft with warm air thus giving the best thermal retention properties. If you go with thermal leggings and top which are designed to reduce the thermal loss from your skin then it reduces the amount of hot air which can fill the "loft " and therfore reduce the performance of the bag.

The bag in question has a full silky lining which is very thermally efficient and has a very low temp rating on it.

Drew

Jo

there are other reasons why nakedness in sleeping bags is a good idea.

I'll let you think about that.....after all you are Blonde!!!!

Drew

Stynthetic bags you need enough clothes to keep you warm. Hence the reason you can get off with a light sleeping back in late Spring as you just wear extra layers.

Drew,

I have no idea what you mean!

Jo

I've only just noticed this after asking the same Q in the Bennachie thread.

I've got a Marmot Hydrogen bag, which is rated to 0 (I think). I rely on clothes to keep me warm in it when there's snow on the ground, and they do seem to help a lot (especially a fleecy little hat).

Perhaps the naked thing only works in certain types of bag?

PW I have replied on the Bennachie thread.

I have managed to copy and paste it here:

synthetic sleeping bags - put all your clothes on or as many as you require. There is nothing to heat as in down sleeping bags. The alternative of course is a warm blooded male and double sleeping bags.

Cold also rises so insulation under the bag is important. I have a therma rest which seems to work fine.

Mini Goon
    I generally take my troosers off, let my bag warm up, then take my top layer off, i find it just depends on whether you wamed up the air circulating in the bag before you strip right down.

although contrary to this, when it is below -5 i generally waer clothes to help with the permafrost.

Just try and remember that you are naked when you get up for a midnight wazz!

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    The argument is that if you sleep naked, the down bag lofts better (i.e. the volume of the insulation increases), and thus it insulates better.

I can't tell if this works or not.

A liner is a good idea if you do decide on this method, but maybe a better idea is to make sure that you're warm before you get in the bag; hot food or drink, or brisk walk before you retire. Don't sit about until you're shivering before you get in...

I've always used down bags but even after 25 years I'm not sure I've got a simple answer to this one. And I can't say I've ever heard the "naked is warmer" theory before. Why would you want the down to warm up anyway if it's using your body heat to do it? Surely the closer you keep your body heat to you the better?

I prefer to sleep without clothes (except my socks! - 'nuff said...) if possible but if it gets cold adding clothes is effective - I've used my +5 rated PHD Minimum at -4 for several nights by wearing clothes, no way would I have been warm enough naked.

However, as the good captain says, the trick is really to be warm enough when you get in - the bag is designed to RETAIN heat, not generate it - and in general it'll be colder a few hours into the night. As well as the tips he gives, I'll try to judge whether I expect it to be a cold night - if it is I'd rather keep some clothes (my baselayers say) on from the start rather than get too cold and end up having to put even more layers on in the middle of the night. The same is true with the hood - you might feel warm enough when you first get in, but do up the hood from the start and retain the heat rather than waiting until you feel cold to tighten that drawstring! Or wear a hat - those "versatile stretchy tube" ones are really effective, plus you'll be able to get Drew back by insisting that you are sleeping in the Buff! ;-)

All insulation works by trapping heated air, synthetics are no different from down in that respect.

I guess the argument is that by sleeping naked you loft the bag up quicker, but if you wear too much then there's the danger that you may actually compress the filling of the bag and reduce overall insulation. All I'd say i that if you are going to sleep naked, use a liner to keep your bag clean :-)

Personally I reckon a lightweight baselayer is a good compromise.

I'm with Matt C on this one. He says what I'd have said:

"Why would you want the down to warm up anyway if it's using your body heat to do it? Surely the closer you keep your body heat to you the better?"

The suggestion of sleeping naked is akin to saying: 'In cold weather, when I'm walking I don't wear anything underneath my down jacket, because I don't want anything to impede my body heat warming up the jacket'

Insulation is warmth. The more insulation the warmer you will be whether that insulation is down, synthetic fill, clothing or iron filings (not recommended for backpacking). You can't be less warm in a bag wearing clothing than not wearing clothing - unless that clothing is damp or so bulky it's compressing the fill in the bag.

Down bags do tend to hug the body while synthetic fills are stiffer and stand away from the body, which means cold spots are more likely in synthetic bags. Clothes can reduce the shock of cold spots.

‹bermensch
    Is this one of those "it's too cold to snow" conundrums?

CT is the voice of sanity. Of course you'll be warmer with clothes on!

Naked in a silk liner. mmmmm, luxurious =P

Kevin,

ref: "Just try and remember that you are naked when you get up for a midnight wazz!"

I always remember to put my boots on....dont fancy the idea of having cold wet sheep poo squidging between my toes or stubbing my toe on a tent peg

Drew

naked is the way ahead ...that includes naked sleeping , naked bars , and so on and so on ....