Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heat resistant pouches for boil in bag use

Widdler
    Does anyone know if you can get pouches for preparing your own boil in the bag meals for camp? Other than re-using a wayfarer pouch, i wondered if you could get a heat resistant ziplock type product.

Most supermarket zip-lock freezer bags are pretty heat resistant & should put up with being boiled. Double-bag your meal just in case & boil away!

You can then use the bolied water for a cuppa with your meal as well.

Hike-Lite.co.uk sell something similar bit that is designed to a higher standard - these bags (which come in sets of 3) - were original developed for military use. You can store your food in normal bags and transfer them - when re-hydrating - into these bags which are tougher and more watertight.

Lakeland do them too.

Russell

While not quite boil in the bag, check the link below (sorry must learn how to do live links)

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

I didn't believe it would work so I poured some boiling water into a freezer bag last night (carefully and over the sink) and it seemed fine. So experimented with cous cous in a freezer bag, in a Thinsulate hat as a cozy and was surprised how well it worked.

Actually just read part of that website about cooking eggs (under the breakfast section) and that is boil in the bag.

You need to put eggs in a bag to boil them?? Don't they come with their own heat-resistant cooking container (i.e. shell)?

The Lakeland Boil-A-Bag ones work well but you need string to tie them, and they are quite large at 20 x 30 cm. They come in packs of 50.

Goon
    The problem with Lakeland is you can't go without buying bags of the "soft eating liquorice" then when you're at that stand you spy the reduced choccy stuff and all hell lets loose!

I hear that Saisburys sandwich/freezer bags are good for boiling in but not Tesco's

Widdler
    I visited my local tesco and purchased two types, a boil in the bag, and microwave steaming ziplock. The ziplock bags work really well and dont melt, but unfortunately they have a steam vent in the top which makes them unsutable for storing foods during transit. The boiling bags work, but are not ziplocked. A standard ziplock freezer bag weakened and distorted but didnt break, but it wasnt ideal. The search goes on, but determined to find a solution.

has anyone come up with anything in the last four years?

Goon
    Pour n store bags, most supermarkets sell them, think they come in 8s

Widdler
    i got a pack of ten pour n store bags from our local pound shop last weekend , good bye i thort..

Ultra King

Widdler
    Anyone know of something available in Canada?

Widdler
    Pour n store bags, most supermarkets sell them approx £1:50 apparently you can get them in some £ shops but I'm not sure how much they cost there !

Initiate
    The "best "for me are the pouches used for vacuum packaging food. More expensive but stronger and don't leave a taste even using boiling water.Franco

The Pour 'n Store bags are great for rehydrating food. For example, I have used 1/2 a packet of Beanfeast with a packet of cheap noodles, add 300ml-350ml of boiling water and some chilli seeds, close and leave for 20-30 minutes (cover it with your sleeping bag). I crumbled some bread into it to soak up the spare water.

This worked very well but it's not quite what the OP (from 4 years ago) was after. Anyone have any real boil safe bags? Can the Pour 'n Store ones be added to a pot of boiling water without mishap?

Widdler

Warhippo wrote (see)</blockquote>Anyone have any real boil safe bags? Can the Pour 'n Store ones be added to a pot of boiling water without mishap?[/QUOTE]pour n store bags are great for boil in the bag