Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Camp

Has anyone wild camped around kinderscout area.
    If so have you had any problems?.
    I beleive camping is prohibited on the moors. and wonder how these rules are enforced?.
    Are there plenty of remote areas where I can camp without being noticed.

hi ya richard,

i constantly "break the law" in regards wild camping...habbitual offender me with no chance for rehabilitation.

Kinder is cool and is certainly as good as any other area in the uk.

What you have to remember is that most people are walking out or off about two hours before sunset. So if you have taken 3 hours to walk to a point where your thinking of striking camp and it gets dark at 6pm if you go for the tent at sunset the chances of anybody seeing you at nightfall is remote.

But But But, you have to be up and packed away early to avoid detection by any farmers who may be out and about on their land at early O'Clock looking for sheep they may have lost etc.

Leave no trace.....take a trowel and be conservative with the amount of light you use dont want some cosmonauts reporting a starnge orange/green/yellow glow from your grid ref do we.

Last weekend i was doing petzl morse to a person/s who were just below great end while i was on Thunacar Knott.

All the best

Drew( who laughs in the face of restricted access and wild camping laws) (( who must learn to spell))

I Have simpler problems on the north york moors with rules against wild camping. I found that as look as you camp in a ditch like an old quarry and only light a fire when its dark and keep the flames under control, they normally don't bother me.

I have even got away of biving at the bottom of a farmers field as it was next to a local crag, got woken up by his frisky dog in the morning mind.

me again,

top tip too, always leave your rubbish bag outside your tent pegged in securly so it won't blow away.

saves the issue of when a fox gets into the porch and trying to get out in a hurry when you hear it and youve startled it.

Oh and contray to the film "american werewolf in london" stay off the paths when wild camping.

and look for high ground rather than dips or hollows as these can fill up within minutes.

Drew

P.S get dog soldiers out on DVD....enjoy!!!! hahahahaha

Mini Goon
    Strewth! I think ya started something here Drew. A wild camp frenzy on OM (at last).

I`m thinking of a Mynedd Du or Cairngorm wild one, but I`m waiting for decent snow, I dont think anywhere is in condition at all.

It looks like snow could be on its way this weekend. Massive area of low pressure heading in from the north west. And the met are predicting rain sun/mon.
    It really looks like snow for the high ground. and its getting cold.Perfect
    yeeee-ha

mills i hope so mate......its our land and we should be able to use it.

Drew

Drew, what is the score with starting a little camp fire? Is it Wild Camping PC or not?

i have never started a fire, mainly because the area's in which i camp are above the tree line and im not carrying a load of wood just to burn up a bloody steep hill.

But on the whole its deffinatley not PC besides its a sure fire (excuse the pun) way of attracting attention to yourself.

Besides the fire will serve no real purpose in regards keeping wild and savage bears and sabre toothed tigers at bay, it wont be big enough to keep you warm and you'll end up and all your kit stinking of smoke and some angry farmer or NT ranger ranting and raving at ya or worse still a mountain rescue team bounding over the hillsides to rescue you when you don't need rescuing ( Big donation to them is then expected £200+ is the going rate i think nowadays).

my advice would be not to start a fire, but hey we are all adults and are old enough to take responsability for our actions.

Drew

Thats what I thought but I was just checking.

Drew, do you carry your water or camp near a fresh source?. I'm am trying to lighten my pack weight.

Bit random but Drew do you know anywhere where I could view a dutch barge, I'm quite keen to think about living on one?

Jo

Richard i do carry water mainly in a platapus 2 litres and two alluminium flasks 750ml each ( when two of us go).

its surprising how much water you actually go throgh.

I do try to draw water within 50yrds of souce direct from rock face not run off. If its an emergency draw water from a fast flowing stream and always check a little upstream for the dead sheep or last wild camper that started a camp fire. try to get hold of some puritabs for afor said emergency.

it depends if your using dehydrated food or fresh.

but generally if your above 1700ft the water is ok as long as its boiled.

Ive never yet been ill lets put it that way.

Jo i can sort the dutch barge thing out if you want.( and yes very random indeed )

Drew

oh and ian curb that wild pyromanical tendancy will ya you'll get your fingers burnt

drew

Mini Goon
    Richard, as a rule me and me Bro` carry enough water the first day (2-3 litres), our route is planned thereabouts around watersources. We know we will hit watersource at 1st pitch, from then the Platy`s and stera` tabs take over, That approach is relatively easy in Wales, Lakes etc, where there are plenty of streams etc.

Tip, gather next days water previous dusk, Stera` tabs have plenty of time for action then.

Regards fires Ian, if on turf cut out a 2ft square of turf have fire then replace. In the mountains there are usually rock runs or rock jumbles, its safer sometimes to get fires goin` in them.

I`m gettin` excited now lads!!

Last weekend I (think) I got serious dehydration. The weather was a lot warmer than expected and I didn't drink enough. Spent the night on the hills then came down went to pub had a pint and a half of cidre (instead of water, silly I know) went home then it hit me like a brick wall. I thought my head was going to split in half and I was violently sick. The pain in my head was like nothing I've ever experienced. Some sips of water and a lot of cold flannels later I started to feel better.
    It was not pleasant and was very unexpected so it's importnat to make sure you do carry enough water with you in case you don't find any. I've learnt my lesson!

Jo

It always best to be hydrated before going for a drink. i learnt that the hard way too:-)

Ha Ha Drew, Mills says I CAN have a fire!

Boiling water will make it safe from all parasites, viruses and bacteria. The only thing it won't get rid of is chemical contaminants and minerals.

Widdler
    The only time I ever lit a fire I went home stinking of smoke, and it wasn't much fun when it came down to it.

As for where to camp, somewhere away from the paths is the main deal. Waking up with a dog barking at you and the owner giving you a slightly hostile stare whilst pulling his beast away is even worse than the beep of that alarm clock.

Wild camping has to be one of the best ways to see the outdoors I've ever come across, screw the rules!