Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First wild camp??

Widdler
    Does anyone know of a decent location for a first attempt at wild camping? Ideallly not too strenuous and with easy escape if things dont go to plan. I was thinking of either Cwm Bochlwyd below Tryfan, or Cwm Clyd on Y Garn. Y Garn from Ogwen cottage is a strenuous ascent but is a route i've done many times so am familiar with it, but unsure of the shelter up there. I have a sierra designs light year and so its not going to be that stable in high winds.

any tips much appreciated!

Does it have to be limited to Snowdonia? South and Mid-Wales, The Lakes and the Yorkshire Dales all have excellent wild camping opportunities, and the Dales especially provide more shelter than in Snowdonia.

P.S. And Scotland, of course!

Cwm Cau on Cader Idris is a nice sport and an easy walk in, although a local Outward Bound centre used to camp there as well so sometimes you had company. I don't know if they still do however.

russell.....look at a map and take stock of the contours. you'll need a sheltered area that may be close to a water supply.

Im going into the lakes this weekend to do my umteenth wild camp. what i do is simply work out the rough area in which i wanna stop before i get there. Once there take a wander off the path for several hundred meteres and find some good ground to pitch...dont be hasty in this as you may regret it. dont pitch until very last light and be awake and away just after first light and LEAVE NO TRACE at all ever.

Drew

Widdler
    Drew, does the prevailing wind direction dictate which side of a valley you pitch, or do you just pick the most sheltered spot in the area you had planned to stop at?

Mini Goon
    (Sorry im not drew)
    To a certain extent, but more importantly are trying to camp in a small raise in the ground, so if the hill turns into a waterfall, you wont wake up in a pond (always annoying), also nice big crags to shelter your stove behind.

I always go into the lakes for my wildcamping. Ill be tacking it in a bivi bag next weekend which should be invigorating.

and especially this time of year, try to give someone a good as you can manage grid reference of your campsites and general route (dunno about you but i always go on my own, my mates cant handle wakeing up in a snow covered bivi)

kieran well have to strike up a friendship on that front mate as miy mates are much the same.

As for wind direction russell it tends to blow round and up valleys so unless your right in the lei side its gonna get you anyway. and kieren is quite right about looking for a raised area of ground i to have been that man waking up in a small tarn thats apeared over night. And if you are going alone make sure a mate has grid refs and phone them at a pre designated time when your out of the hills

Drew

Mini Goon
    I go for the feeling of making your habitat in an uninhabitable location. frozen hands, sweaty arms, feet which fill your tent with steam, huddling over a stove for a hour, only to run out of fuel etc. the hardship really.

i miss the hills, its been about six weeks.

well Kieren time before arriving at Langdale is approxiamatley 7 hours as at 1335hrs and by 10am 2moro i'll be halfway up bowfell with my 7 year old little girl cos she is doing the big pike!!!!

and then for a night just shy of scarfells summit.....stick that in ya thermos!!!

good luck btw russ and enjoy it.

drew

Russell,

Deciding to camp wild is a great step towards totally 'knowing' the hills. It will probably change your perception of them, the way you approach them, the way you look at them. But there'll be times when it won't be much fun. You'll wake in the night wondering if the tent will survive the wind and rain... you'll find yourself pushing hard against billowing tent walls, hanging on to poles for dear life. And there is no guaranteed sheltered pitch anywhere... the wind can always change direction.

If you've done lots of hillwalking you'll already have a feel for the mountains, and will have an idea of where best to camp. If you haven't walked many days in the mountains yet, then it might be better to start there first, before camping wild.

Few people will reccommend exact locations for a wild camp on an open forum. It's always better to keep such places to yourself. And in any case, the best thing about camping wild is finding a pitch for yourself. The more you do of it, the better you'll get at it. And if you have uncomfortable nights early on - as you will - these are what make wild camping special. You gain so much more from a sleepless night in a storm half way up a mountain than you do from a restful night down in the valley.

North Wales is as good as anywhere. You'll be spoilt for choice. Go find a spot for yourself, and if it doesn't work, you'll learn from that and do better next time.

Have fun and, of course, leave no sign that you were ever there.

Good luck!

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Theres some great places in Cwm Eigau. Take the road up into the valley, park in the car park and then head into the valley, my first ever wild camp I went left up to the old slate dumps on the left side of the valley, amazing views of the Carneddau in the morning and your half way up the ascent of the ridge leading over to Carnedd Llewelyn.

Have a great time, Russell. A first wild camp is a very exciting experience

As you're lying in the sleeping bag waiting to fall asleep, comfort yourself with the knowledge that the sound of someone stealthily undoing the zip on the door is almost certainly just the wind playing nasty tricks

hi russell,

just returned from a fab weekend in the lakes.

what peewiglet said is very true........... unless its a real life fox or "big cat" who comes along at 0330hrs and deftly unties your rubish bag from its anchor pegs 10m from your tent pitch carries it some 400m away then proceeds to empty the contents. all this resulting in a major "hunt the trash" at 0715hrs "BC" (before coffee) this morning!

now i am pretty sure i found everything but i may have missed a mars bar wrapper so as penance i collected 2 drinks cans and a discarded sarnie bag on the way down.

And as Andrew T says theres nowt like feeling that your whole world is about to be blown off the face of the mountain or the comforting feeling of your tent folding flat onto your face in the wildest of weather....moral of the story, live, wild camp,learn and enjoy

Drew

Widdler
    Glad you had a good weekend Drew, I reckon i've picked my area - easy two dayer from Beddgelert, up and around Cnicht. But am also considering Cwm Eigiau reading one poster's comments. Just studying the map now as it happens!

Good choice - there's some fantastic wild camping to be had in the Moelwyns around Cnicht. You won't avoid the boggy bits - just don't pitch your tent on one!

;-)

Yeah for this time Russell,

soon you'll have the itch and will want to be exploring any where that the contours look good and the civilization is far away, wait and see and i'll say Told ya so.

See you in the hills mate and if i do i'll just walk on for another mile and then pitch up!

Drew

P.S have a good one and watch the wet ground as Matt has mentioned

Mini Goon
    "i collected 2 drinks cans and a discarded sarnie bag on the way down."- Drew

glad to see someone else does it, i can become annoying when you are getting a good pace on, and you have to stop because some lazy bar steward couldent be othered to carry their rubbish down, sorry, felt the urge to moan.

Widdler
    yes, apparently its down to some strange gravitational effect where the packet becomes 100 times heavier once you have eaten the contents, therefore leaving you no option but to discard it!!!!

Russell,

There are lots of good areas near Cnicht. Lots of lakes and stunning morning views (I imagine) out to the sea. You'll probably find that this is no more exposed than the campsites in Ogwen Valley!

The Moelwyns are good for wild camping.

Another idea might be to take Moel Siabad, from Capel, and from the summit take the ridge route the runs to the west. I can't remember the name of the lake you come to, but it is big and a comfortable place to pitch.