Thread: Geography dissertation idea

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me. One of my ideas for a potential geography dissertation is a study of ablation of a particular glacier in the Alps. This would involve digging a pit of sorts in the glacier. A couple of questions regarding this:

1. Who, if anyone, would I need to ask permission to dig a pit in a glacier? Are such activities 'policed' or can people do any sort of scientific study they like?

2. Assuming its allowed, can any of you recommend a good glacier for such a study? It'd have to a flatish level surface and be reasonably free from crevasses. Also needs to be close to a village/town with facilities to camp or hostel in - close enough to walk up to the site each day.

3. Ideally it should have a decent outwash stream flowing from it.

If you can be of any help I'd much appreciate it. I'm at the horrible stage of deciding what topic to do my dissertation on. Needs to be something that'll hold my interest for over a year, and this is the best one so far.

James

Do you actually have to dig into a glacier, or can you make do with one that's naturally falling apart? There's a very accessible cross-section of the Glacier du Miage up the valley from Courmayeur on the Italian stretch of the Tour du Mont Blanc, where you can watch chunks of ice shear off naturally into the Lac du Miage and see what the glacier is made of, and all within easy reach of a dirt road.

I think ideally I'd need to cut a small pit into a relatively flat and stable section to accurately measure the ice/snow loss from the surface.

James

Thinking about it though, it might not be necessary to dig anything. Not done anything on this subject before so am still working out the methods used.

James

Hey James, if you are struggle with dissertation writing, i can recommend you the site that i'm using by myself, so you could get help with dissertation writing. I hope u'll be good with your geography dissertation!

Dear James, I think that it will be better for you to consult with professionals about your dissertation. I recommend you to visit this page and get a high-quality consultation about yous dissertation.