Thread: knoydart barrisdale bothy info

Planning on Knoydart mid march - does the bothy at barrisdale bay still exist? any other info would be useful. Thanks

A few years since I was last there, was the last world cup actually.
    We camped outside the said bothy, but it was in good condition then. More recently I know someone who was there last may.

Initiate Professor Pat. Pending's Avatar

It's all still there, you park in a parking area at the head of the loch, then walk round the south side of the loch into Barrisdale Bay. The track takes you thru the farm yard (so you can't miss it) and the Bothy is one of the farm buildings. There's a sign on the door, I presume you let yourself be known at the farm house.

Don't do what we did and lock your car keys in the boot on return. It then involves throwing a brick thru a car window. Luckily for us it was a company car, so we claimed it had been vandalised. Unlikely 30miles from anywhere!

At least you knew where your car keys were. If you hadn't locked tyhem in the boot, you could have dropped them in the knoydart - gone forever. Clever thinking I'd say!

Doesn't everybody leave a spare hidden in the car just in case?

The bothy at Barisdale is still in existence and there is a small daily fee for its use. You cannot book a place in advance, you just turn up and take a chance.

There is an area for camping outside the bothy which again there is a samll fee for. There are no facilities at the camp site but there is access to the flush toilet in the bothy.

There is a new bunkhouse which has been constructed nearby and also there is the 'White House', an old farm house, which can be rented from Robert Gordon the owners of the Estate. I will try and find his web address but you can also get some information from my own web site at http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/mo...kaig_hills.htm. The stalker and his partner stay nearby and they are responsible for the buildings and the camping arrangements.

As for travel arrangemnets you actually park at Kinloch Hourn, the end of a single track road 18 miles from the Invergarry to Invermoriston Road. You have to pay for this facility but to be honest there isn't much space elsewhere and the charge isn't that much. It is then a 7 mile walk along an undulating track on the shores of Loch Hourn to Barisdale.

There is an alternative and that is to take the ferry across Loch Hourn - see my web site for further details. You of course can take the ferry from Malaig to Invere and walk over Mam Barisdale to Barisdale.

This is Robert Gordon's site:
    http://www.barisdale.com/information.htm

Thanks for all info - much appreciated

I stayed in the bothy 2years ago luxury -toilets and sink with running water.Camping also at Kinloch Hourn.Worth a walk over to Sourlies bothy beautiful location.Just leave fee in a box in Barrisdale was £1 a night i think

Grid ref for sourlies would be appreciated - at present if weather excellent to stay at Barrisdale a few days, if not brilliant walk over to inverie and b and b, if totally bad stay around shiel bridge - any other suggestions welcome

Lawrence just look at the most inland point of Loch Nevis its there with a bridge over the river near Carnach