Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Industry Needs a Keg-up

‹bermensch Chris OutdoorsGrubcouk's Avatar
    Extra idea: see if you can get some "end of line" kit at low low prices just for the day. Doesn't have to be super-duper if it's cheap. Gets the ££ flowing: punters respond to bargains!

Ultra King Dave O aka Jungle Dave ;)'s Avatar
    Yep I often tend to try and buy last seasons colour etc as its cheaper and doesn't worry me so something along those lines would be good!

This is a great idea! I'd certainly go, and I'd be willing to spend some hours helping (and pay the entrance fee :-)

That's OK. PW's attendance is likely to encourage all kinds of retailers to be there - they're guaranteed a sale :-)

I'd be quite happy to help out Bob. But we do need the involvement of somebody like TGO. £5 is certainly OK as a fee. I'd be prepared to pay £10 but I guess at this price people start looking at the content of the day in advance.

Just think of it. In 10 years time when the annual Malvern Lightweight spectacular is drawing thousands to the Winter Gardens, we can say ...

... we were there at the beginning.

.. we knew Bob when he recorded his own podcasts, you know!

Mini Goon
    I would be interested, depends if work allows, If there is plenty of notice Should be able to sort something out. 5 pounds on the door ok. Do we all get name badges so we know who everyone is? lol

‹bermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    Of course there will be a UNIFORM!

Commercial sites offer a lot, for a lot, so I'm just making a few more calls on some other location ideas.

Small enough to be fun and flexible, big enough to cope with the pressure!

Sounds like Peewiglet to me!!!

If that's so then we want the full "tell-all" podcast - NOW!!!

;-)

‹bermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    I wonder if it would make more sense to meet on a campsite with good facilities, than a commercial ground and then have to find camping close by, as it would be nice to make it a social too wouldn't it?

That would be more in keeping with chilling out and enjoying it, than the funneled feeling at the NEC.

What do people think?

Sounds excellent Bob, just make sure you get some "test material" from Jennings or someone like that!

‹bermensch Chris OutdoorsGrubcouk's Avatar
    Campsite is ok as long as there are indoor facilities -- if it pours down and blows a gale then it's not conducive to looking at gear!

Just FYI, myself I'd want to go for a long day out rather than camping/staying over.

Mini Goon
    campsite would be good

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Lighweightfest 2006! Rock On!

Bob you should use peoples websites to help promote aswell, I'm sure the webmasters like myself, Alex, Andy and Dave etc will add a banner or ad.

There must be a camp site with camping barn directly attached to use for displaying and general shelter, that can't be too much to just pay the owner the price of it being full for the night, and then encourage people to camp over and bring there lightweight gear aswell.

I think I've become too obsessed with this lightweight business now.. I need help! And I blame Pod Show Bob and all these lightweight loonies for bringing me to there strange dementia!

I like the campsite idea! I'm getting very excited

Widdler
    This all sounds great! I seem to remember discussing this with Bob late last year because it occured to me that in making bigger purchases I really wanted to be able to see and feel the stuff for real.

The points about a campsite still being near to a suitable display space seem sensible. And I guess that marketing the event might need a bit more thought. Is there any money to advertise as well as promote through websites?

Uniforms? I've lost the plot here now.

I suppose a campsite might not be a bad idea. The only problem I can think of is accessibility although we need to be careful about feeding Jamie's obsessions!

I think it would still be useful to have some internal space for looking at things - you can almost predict that the weather will be crap.

What about a Youth Hostel? There must be one around somewhere that has a fair amount of space around it. We could offer a show ticket and place in the hostel.

Or is this getting just a little too complicated!

I think it needs to be a commercial site to make it worth while and to get the support from manufactures etc, also would make it a more professional show likely to get more people along. Malvern Show ground sounds good, Isn't there camping nearby?

You would need manufacturers along, possibly (dare I say it) other retailers and local / national Clubs to make it viable and an attraction to the general public!

Cracking idea though!

‹bermensch tdave@walkeryri.org.uk's Avatar
    Great idea.

Campsite would be great for me. But it depends on location and time of year (school hols etc). The idea of a community feel to it appeals greatly. Somewhere like the Peak seems relatively central to England/Wales. I'd go to the lakes if i had the time off (which is not up to me).

IMHO, it has to be located somewhere that appeals to the hill going fraternity, busy places do not appeal to me. Wherever it's located, its likely to be a fair distance from 'most' people' so they might want to make a weekend of it, i know i would. SO Lakes, Peak, Snowdonia etc, seem logical places. Unfortunately, they are also places that lack the facilities to host this.

I'd see it as a get together of lightweight enthusiasts that the companies can take advantage of and demonstrate their latest wares to.

I'd definately put a banner on my site for something like this, whether i can go or not.

Youth Hostel sounds good, particularly if it's one of the ones that allow camping.

Maybe the thing to do would be to have viewings etc on Saturday, followed (for those who want to) by staying over, chat, a beer, etc on Saturday night?

sounds a good idea PW