Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild camping in the Peak District

I'm new to this site, but had a quick look through and am really impressed so far. Does anyone know of any areas in the Peak District which would be ideal for wild camping with a 10 yr old? Probably no more than a couple of miles trekking, once the car has been left. I don't expect answers to be put on the forum but would appreciate emails with any details. We have a fair amount of experience camping.
    Anyone have any tips about camping in the Peak District?

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Hi Carl, the Peak District isn't the most ideal place to wild camp. The White Peak isn't really wild enough and the Dark Peak despite being very wild in places is not always the safest place to wild camp. The risk of fires is very high in the Dark Peak and making of fires in the area is banned.

However, personally I don't see there being much problem with camping descretely in the Dark Peak and with great care.

As the Peak is so busy and there are so many popular routes your best looking on an OS map and looking for valleys that do not have marked footpaths and that are far away from main routes. There are quite a few that I've discovered when off the track especially between Bleaklow and Derwent Valley kind of area.

The National Trust and The National Park authority would probably discourage people from Wild Camping in the Peak District as it is quite different in many ways to Snowdonia, Lakes and Scotland.

One way to still have the walking and backpacking experience is to travel from one place to another and use the local camp sites, for example crossing Kinder from Hayfield to Edale and using the two camp sites and either side.

Hi Jamie, thanks for that. I appreciate the risk of fires on the dark peak, we would only be using a stove and not open fires anyway, although i know there is still a risk. We want to try and move away from camp sites if poss. Any chance of sharing the sites via email where you stayed?

hi carl, im a great fan of wild camping as it gives you the peace and quiet and oppertunity to do a two day hike without the constraints of having to return to a campsite. Also the dosh you save on not paying some greedy farmer who's idea of a toilet facility is a freezing cold dirty outhouse that has no loo roll can be spent on a rather nice bottle of 10 year old single malt to enjoy when all the other walkers have gone home. I find that if you set up camp at about 40 mins past the time of no return during daylight hours and are up and packed away early and are far enough from the main footpaths and near running water you will have a very enjoyable experience. As for sharing wild camp sites i would be reluctant to do so as they are very special to the people concerned and the whole point is that they seem unique and secret to the indeviduals. good look with your camping and if i see you pitched i will wave and nod....walk on another mile or so well out of ear shot and sight and do the same. above all Enjoy and leave it as always exactly how you found it. You will need a shovel/trowel though for digging in the after effects of food and whiskey!

Widdler
    Hi Carl,

I enjoy wild camping and do it in The Peak a couple of times a year. The main thing is to be discrete and leaving no traces. As you are taking a 10 yr old, have you considered using one of the old shooting cabins (Oyster Clough or Lower Small Clough)? Neither are too far for a youngster to get to.

mike

Hi Mike,

To be honest i didn't know about those. Would you mind mailing me more details, grid ref. etc. Sounds interesting.

Strictly speaking wild camping is not allowed in the Peak District. Well, strictly speaking it's not allowed in lots of places, but it's more not allowed in the Peak District than most. So it's especially important to be discreet. Where it's likely to be turned a blind eye to elsewhere, that's not so likely in the Peak District.

Having said that; if no-one sees you no-one will care. So enjoy. :-)

Thank you to everyone so far who has kindly left some feedback. I have had a couple of emails from some kind individuals, you know who you are so thanks again.

I am looking forward to trying some of the spots already suggested, my son has already being trying out his new sleeping bag in anticipation (in the front room!).
    I think the Ray Mears series on Sky over Christmas mustbe rekindling everyones enthusiasm for the outdoors, the kids are now asking if we can buy a canoe and go camping at the side of the river..as long as there's no bears!!

best thing to do and the most important carl is Enjoy the peaks.

Widdler
    Aha, the mention of Ray Mears! This reminds me of Jamies earlier post about fire risk. I have a mountain house in The Sierra Nevada Mountains in Spain. Last Autumn a British walker became lost and though the police were out looking for him, he lit a fire to guide them. He managed to destroy 50,000 acres of forrest and mountain side!

Sorry if it seems off the point, but Jamies earlier post is important. (A couple of Easters ago I was beating out flames on Bleaklow)

I would have thought that more fires are started by discarded cigarettes and matches than responsible campers making a brew Mike. Why does the mention of Ray Mears suddenly raise the issue of fire risk? My kids had just been watching his adventures in Canada in a canoe, camping at the side of the river. Although the thought of the open fire at a campsite is traditional, and is probably the first picture someone sees when you mention wild camping, common sense prevails, or at least it does with the majority of people I know. I would use the stove everytime for cooking in the wild.I appreciate accidents can and do happen but like i was taught as a kid, you have to respect a naked flame!

Widdler
    As an alternative what about a camping barn? There's a good one near Monyash with great walking literally out of the door.

Mini Goon
    Is this your 10 yr old's first experience of camping? If so, you might be better off sticking to lowland campsites for your first few trips before heading out into the hills overnight. The "full on" remote wild camp experience, particularly if the weather closes in a bit, can be a bit overwhelming for youngsters. Looks great on the telly - reality is much scarier and less comfortable, even with dad around. Can also be a bit (dare I say it...) boring.

That's my experience with my 10 (now 11) year old, anyway. Last year, he was much happier returning to base camp in the evenings. It gave him all he wanted, and was up for, of the wilderness experience. I think I might have put him off if we'd gone wild camping from the outset, though I'm hoping to do some with him this year.

Your boy's mileage, as they say, may vary (...and in fact I've just noticed you say you've already done a fair amount of camping with him, so it probably does).

From my recollection you are not allowed to wild camp in the Peak District National Park but there are ways around this.

If you camp on what is technically private land (with the permission of the landowner) there is little the park authority can do about it. By doing this you would give your child the experience without upsetting anyone. I am quite sure that there are many farmers who wouldn't object if you asked them - but please ask first. You have to remember that the people who live and work in the Peak District know they need tourists but that they are also trying to get on with their own lives and livelihoods too.

You can also try camping at one of the not so commercial sites owned or at managed by the Park Authority. One example might be the Eric Burn site (I may have spelt that wrong). This would be a good compromise as you have to walk in while leaving the car in the car park (parking was free last time I used it). This site is off the main road from Chesterfield into the park near a pub called (if memory is working) The Robin Hood. Its on the Chatsworth road. It would provide a safe and hassle free introduction to camping in a rugged setting. You can do some nice walks, some bouldering and even rock climbing on Baslow and Gardoms Edge from there.

If it all gets a bit much the pub permits outdoor attire etc in the tiled back room (boots in particular I am thinking of) and does a truly wonderful post walk steak sandwich and pint.

Hope this helps.

Please also note that there are probably upto 10 times as many Rangers about at weekends (as most of them are voluntary) than during the week and they all know that wild camping without the land owners permission is not allowed.

There are full time Rangers and area managers (whatever name they go under now - they were Wardens at one point - and they are not the same thing as Rangers).

The Wardens job is to manage the land, the Rangers job is to manage the people - that's a very shortened view but I think it sums it up.

Hi Jan,
    I know the Eric Byne campsite well. That was one of the first places I camped as a youngster when I was doing my Duke of Edinburgh award. I have also camped there with my daughter a few years ago. We have had a few family outings along the rocks there.

I think some clarification on my initial question may be needed. I live 10 minute drive from Chatsworth Park, so know the area fairly well. I have quite a bit of experience camping, so do my kids, but apart from one trip out on a non commercial site (wild) then not much experience on that side as regards suitable places. Because I will be taking my 10yr old son or 12yr old daughter, only one at a time, I was seeking out sites where other people have wild camped which would be okay with kids. I appreciate that technically wild camping is not allowed in the Peak District, but late in early out and not leaving "footprints" is in most places "ignored". We don't intend making fires, chopping down trees to make shelter etc, we just want to experience "an adventure" before they get to old to want to be involved (teenage years, and hopefully to get them to want to further their own backpacking adventures and outdoor skills.

So while I appreciate everyones replies so far and it certainly is good to know people are interested can folks please refrain from the "it's not technically allowed" syndrome...we know. Apologies in advance if I sound like i'm sounding off a bit, I don't intend to, just wanting to give my kids an adventure to remember.

If you want to give them an adventure to remember - go to Wales

Jan
    It is my 40th birthday this year and my wife, who enjoys travelling, walking and outdoor stuff but has normally got to have somewhere to plug in a hair dryer, curling tongues, if we are staying over has agreed to come on a camping trip with me. We have discused either Wales or Scotland or even the Lakes, although we have had limited visits to the Lakes.
    Any particular areas in Wales you can recommend. We are looking at three days, two nights in the open, and then I might have to succumb to a hotel for a couple of nights afterwards! Not sure if the kids will be coming or not, although they can cope with upto 10 mile hikes usually.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Getting patronised alot Carl? ha ha!

I think most people on this forum are sensible enough to know what there doing out in the wild and while rangers do discourage poeple from wild camping its only because the Peak is so close to towns and cities which increases the number of inexperienced and uneducated people that come to the Peak to camp.

I say you go and enjoy yourself mate and it'll be a great learning experience for your kid! Plus you'll be able to educate him on the importance of caring for the environment you'll be in which is great, another generation we can trust.

Apologies for the advice being of a 'not technically allowed' nature and preaching to the converter - but this is a post in Starting Out....?