Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feb TGO - back on form

Evil,

There are plenty of decent SLR digital cameras these days that don't break the bank, especially when you consider that you never have to pay for film.

Jamie, I can't help with the pillow I'm afraid. I've never even seen one. I use clothing in a stuffsack as a pillow. Down and synthetic filled items are great, fleece is okay.

Yep. I tend to role up my down vest and use it as a pillow. Works well in a stuff-sack. I do have to confess to using it to fill a Thermorest pillow. This works very well but while it OK for campsite bases it is a bit of extra weight when you are backpacking.

Jamie, I've just taken delivery of a FlexAir sleeping bag pillow from the US. They're not marketed at backpackers yet, but for throw-away use by paramedics; there's a new proposed version aimed at backpackers such as us.

I've yet to give it a try but will let you know... they weigh very litle indeed.

That said, I usually use a stuff sack full of clothes. In Washington state last year I used my food bag, in a daft attempt to dfeter bears from nicking my breakfast!

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback, my problem with using the stuff pillows is that to be honest I don't really take that much thick clothing with me unless its the depths of winter as I mainly lightweight 3 season backpack. I will look out for this FlexAir thing though! I've tried other blow ups but find I end up on the matress by morning as they all seem to deflate.

Chris, John -

If you've enough clothing to fill a stuff sack full of clothes for a pillow maybe you're carrying too many clothes - you should try the new lightweight style ;-)

Jamie I use an inflatable pillow from poundland (so you can guess the price), but only half inflate it to stop ending up on the mattress.

Lol Dave! It seems the only drawback from going lightweight, the lack of cushioning available!

I think Chris can take plenty of padded gear as he counter balances the weight by using his sandals!

I do usually inflate them fully so maybe not inflating them fully could be an idea to stop it forcing pressuring on the seams from new.

Thanks for the feedback, my problem with using the stuff pillows is that to be honest I don't really take that much thick clothing with me unless its the depths of winter as I mainly lightweight 3 season backpack. I will look out for this FlexAir thing though! I've tried other blow ups but find I end up on the matress by morning as they all seem to deflate.

Have got a horrible image in my head of a big, brown bear, cuddling up to to John in his tarp and sharing his pillow ...

... stop it now!

Between June and September I usually carry just a 100 weight fleece for warmth. This makes a barely adequate pillow! The rest of the year I usually also have a down or synthetic jacket or vest, which makes a much better pillow.

I only use one fairly thin pillow at home so I don't need much in the way of padding.

Although I've solved my mattress problem now (the Insul-Mat Max-Thermo seems perfect), I'm still looking for a nice, light, compact pillow. I never seem to be able to make something comfy enough from spare clothing, and the inflatable pillows I've found don't seem to want to deflate.

I'd like to try the Ajungilac pillow too, so if anyone finds it then please post here. I'll do likewise.

Blimey it's years since I've encountered so much pillow-talk!!!
    ;-)

It's this one, Dave - a lovely, yellow inflatable thingy

A lovely, yellow inflatable thingy?

Now, now, this is a family show...

This is hard to believe. A thread that complimented TGO, not least due to its lightweight commitment, has now turned into a thread about camping pillows!

However, another suggestion. ME rucksack liners have a valve in them to help compress the contents. But if you take one of the smaller sacks (25/15 litres) you can use the valve to inflate the bag enough to create a very comfortable pillow. And guess what? No extra weight!

Interesting, Andy! Do they deflate during the night, though? The fabled Exped Down Air Mattress comes with a similar little bag - an inflation device, in fact - and claims to be able to double as a pillow. When I lie on it it goes down, though...

(This thread gets weirder by the posting! :-)

> Sorry my fault!

Just desperate for my Ajungilak bone shaped yellow thingy :-(

Got my new TGO today though and am very happy to see the resurrection of TGO!

Like the fact that instead of just showing gear lists and throwing gear ideas at us TGO is also concentrating on the psychological side of going lightweight aswell.

I won't be going north for the big TGO Challenge crossing as I haven't submitted a request for a place until I have done a few more years long distance backpacking. But as a new comer to lightweight and long distance I would love to have a good nosey at peoples routes and gear taken. Would be great if TGO chose several people on the challenge and did a page on each, there backgrounds, routes, gear, personal experiences and ideas. I think they did it a little bit last year but not into too much detail.

( Hope I recovered the thread! )

There are some accounts with details of routes and kit lists here, Jamie, (under "TGO Challenge"), and another one here.