Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feb TGO - back on form

I feel I've been a bit critical of TGO lately, what with the December gear issue and their Digital TGO pricing, so I thought it fair to redress the balance here and say what a good mix there is the Feb issue. Not just the new Lightweight section but also things like the Ed Douglas Nepal article and the regular columnists. I also like the pulling together of "wild walks" into a section, and the range of walks covered there. It's even good to see then shouting the Club Subs rates from the rooftops instead of burying them in the small print!

So well done to the TGO team. Must go now - got to read it cover to cover!

I agree. I think that this one of the strongest issues for a while. And in championing the lightweight movement I think that they have carved out a distinctive space for themselves.

I agree, this has been a very big improvement, compared to the last 3 or 4 issues.

Loved the lightweight section, hope they can keep the section going (unlike Trail and their mountaineering section that seems to me to be dieing a slow death now).

And I forgot to say, it was good (and unexpected) to receive my postal copy on the 3rd, especially when 1st and 2nd were holidays!

‹bermensch Chris OutdoorsGrubcouk's Avatar
    I like the tweaks to the layout/format, like the single-page walk routes plus the map locator (a Country Walking idea I think?).

Would personally move all the gear stuff to the back, to avoid the risk of appearing to be too "gear-heavy".

But nice one chaps and chapesses!

Bought mine today and it looks very good.

I like the wild walks - excellent for generating some ideas.

Good show - keep it up!

The wild walks were good, but ...

.. go up Tryfan and you'll hardly find it wild; sometimes it can be busier than Oxford Street.

What about the genuinely quiet (and wilder) bits of the easter Cardennau?

Almost tempted to submit an article myself!

"Almost tempted to submit an article myself!"?

Plenty of folk have felt the same way over the years, folk like Andrew Terrill, Andy Stothert, Andrew McCloy... and their names don't always have to Andy - other folk who were tempted to submit unsolicited material to outdoor mags in the past few hundred years have included Chris Towncentre, Cameroon Camiknickers, Jim Pippin, Judy Strongi'th'arm and John Manhandling.

There's no University of Outdoor Writing (more educational resources are dedicated to hamburgers and speaking Klingon) - at TGO the best qualifications are loving it and expressing the wonder and delight of it all.

Gerrrron wi' it!

Advice freely given.

sigh...

"their names don't always have to Andy"

I meant, of course: "their names don't always have to BE Andy", Andy...

Hope that hasn't put any Andys or others off!

Goon
    Thank you all very much for the kind comments. In such an overcrowded market as outdoor magazines we felt it was important to nail our colours to the ultralight mast. After all it's what we do and it's what gets our juices flowing, so to speak. Look out next month for a special piece by Coup Coupanas from GoLite who hiked his own Triple Gem - the John Muir Trail, the Colorado Trail and Long Trail, in what he refers to as Alpine style. Simon Willis will be offering a bit of profile of Coup and I'll be suggesting you CAN go ultralight in winter ? provided your choose your route carefully.
    And I hope you will all take advantage of our FREE Digital Diary & Directory offer. All you have to do is send your name and email address to tgo.subs@tgomagazine.co.uk
    I apologise if this all sounds like a bit of a plug but I can't don't plug TGO no-one else will and it's a good diary, for free!

Yes, another top installment. However........

..As much as I enjoy reading Colin Prior's articles and looking at his excellent pictures, how about commissioning him to do an article where he used some of the cameras available to the average user?

While I know good photography is more than just kit, a camera like the Canon EOS 1Ds MkII will produce a great image, but at £5000 a pop, it's way outside the amateurs pocket.

Goon
    Thanks Evil, I'll pass your comment on to Colin. One of the things we intend doing in our ultralight section is to test some very lightweight digital cameras. It was curious, but when Chris T and I did the GR20 last summer we both cut our gear weight down to a very acceptable level and then strapped a couple of heavy SLR's round our necks. Seemed a bit pointless, unless the SLR gave a better image than one of the new digital compacts. A number of years ago I got round the camera weight problem by buying a Leica film compact. It was superb - the Leica lens was the match of my Nikon SLR. Based on that experience I've just bought a Leica D2 compact - 8.4megapixels, 28mmto112mm zoom lens and an image stabilizer. All at a weight of 128gms. I'll put something in the mag shortly once I've used it a bit. Oh, and yes, you did read that correctly. I've bought the camera. Despite what many people think we do hand over hard earned cash for gear now and again

Cameron, I shall be interested to see how you get on with the new Leica. I too have been using a Nikon D70 and, although it is a brilliant camera, you do feel as if you are about to be garroted as to slug up those hills!

Evil, the magic is with the photographer and not the camera. His pictures on lower-level SLRs will be the same - especially when they are reproduced in print. Mind you, I guess you might notice some difference if you send him out with a camera phone!

John,

I might just take up the challenge. I don't have many decent photos of the area though, but I presume you have reasonable archives?

Andy. Yes, I acknowldged that, but a 12 megapixel SLR with a £2000 IS lens will produce a far better quality image compared to a £100 compact bought from Argos. I know which one most people can afford.

Goon
    I guess that's why a brilliant photographer like Colin doesn't use a £100 compact from Argos.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    I think in the past year or two the smaller DigiSLR's and point and shoots have become way more advanced than people give them credit. The Optical Zooms have advanced massively and the actual size and quality of images too so think people will be surprised what you can do with a cheaper and lighter camera these days, especially a half decent photographer like Colin... only kiddin Colin! ;-)

P.S. Are you going to be giving out Colin's calenders free again at this years Outdoor Show? And signed by Colin?

With cameras it depends on what you do with the pictures as to the quality you need. A big 12-16 megapixel SLR will produce images that can be blown up to poster size without loss of quality, as Colin's are for the posters he sells. For magazines or books a 6mp SLR like my EOS 300D is fine, as it produces excellent A3 enlargements. The 300D isn't very heavy (it was the lightest digital SLR for a while) and the replacement 350D is lighter and more compact. Of course a big advantage of SLRs is interchangeable lenses. I've always used lightweight "amateur" lenses like the 18-55 one that comes with the 300D because of the weight. Pro lenses are much heavier. Again, for posters they are probably needed.

I'll be interested in the results from Cameron's new compact too, as I'm looking for a digital compact as a backup to the SLR and for ultralight trips. My current likely buy is the Ricoh GR Digital. It has a fixed 28mm lens rather than a zoom but results are said to be superb.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Chris while your online and active on this thread can I steal your attention for a few seconds and by any chance can you tell me anywhere that sells the Ajungilak anniversary bone shaped yellow pillow.

I've sorted out all my lightweight gear and the pillow is the only thing I can't complete as I can't get that one I want. Or could you suggest another?