Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightweight, February Issue

Wow, Bob - think of the ticks! :-((

‹bermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    Aw come on guys. I thought this would generate more positive feedback than this?

Surely there must be some rufty tufty Munro bagging type who likes a bit of traditional Highland wear in those parts? No one to pass on any advice?

I seem to remember seeing some pictures of someone doing the TGO crossing in a kilt. What happened to him - ticked off?

Admittedly I hadn't thought about the ticks, which I know Peewiglet has a findess for, but then at least I could check the 'privates' when no one was looking, quick as a flash? And yes, no underwear, there's a thought!

What has happened to the romantic 'striding through the heather at one with the Glens, the Eagles and the finest whisky on Gods earth'?

There again, no DWR, no wicking ability, no anti bacterial impregnation, but very nice colours. I think my tartan is a rather fetching green and blue pattern.

Sounds like I need Rose there with the tweezers as medical back up. How sad, the romantic image of the highlands is slowly slipping away .....

Goon
    Here's a tale to show how the romantic kilted image of the Highlands is still alive and well...
    There was a great story some time ago, it might have been in TGO, about a guy who was walking in his kilt in Glen Shiel. He came down off the peaks through the mist, the mist parted for just a short while, and he saw some other wakers below him obviously looking for the right path. Just before the mist closed in again he was able to use his walking stick to point them in the right direction so they would meet the path to take them down to the road. He thought nothing of it until a few days later he was on the bus through the glen when he overheard a couple of American girls on the seat behind him. They were still thanking their lucky stars that a highland ghost in a kilt had magically appeared from the mist and waved his sword (ie the walking stick)in the direction they needed to take to safely get back down to the bottom of the glen. Their conversation showed they were completely lost in the mist and they truly believed their "ghost" had saved them.

and where do you think the highland fling came from? Scotsman going comando and being plagued by the midges of course!

Back on trail shoes, like the Terrocs. Do people use them with Superfeet or the like?

I wore mine today on the Ashhurst Beacon race

I can't imagine getting Superfeet into them - they're very close fitting. I've not tried, though, so perhaps it's possible.

PW, get the blue ones and tear out the existing insoles. You'll prolly find you've got more room.

Thanks Richie - I'll take a look at that

I've used mine with blue Superfeet since I got them (removed the original insoles of course), then also added a volume reducer to the right one to raise my anklebone clear of the edge - now they're really comfortable and supportive - I've done weekend backpacking in the Lakes wearing them. I can fit either Smartwool Light Hikers or sealskinz Mid-Lights as my socks.