Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight, February Issue

Funnily enough, after wearing light footwear for the PW and the Challenge last year I'm thinking of wearing my 3 season leather Raichles on the Challenge next May... I can't stand the prospect of bruised feet again, with waves of pain radiating up to my knees in bed. Was just discussing this with Bob this morning.

‹bermensch Chris OutdoorsGrubcouk's Avatar
    Andy, check this out:

http://www.inov-8.com/product-locato...m#westmidlands

seem to be a few in the Brum area that stock Terroc 330s?

Andy, I'd wear them on the Challenge if they fitted me properly. However they are slightly tight on me, which is okay if I'm just carrying a light daysack and wearing very thin socks. Brasher Hillmasters are the heaviest footwear I've ever worn on the Challenge and that was many years ago. The last few Challenges I've done I've worn trail shoes.

Cheers Chris.

Zubaid - I've seen the list. All require a long-ish trek, i.e. non of them in mainstream stores. But I might take the opportunity of cycling out to find one of them tomorrow.

PW,

I take the point. That's why I was thinking about the ZGs.

I'll take a look at those, Andy: I've not come across them before.

I should point out, in relation to the sore feet that I mentioned on the PW and the Challenge, that I know why they happened and it wasn't really the fault of the shoes.

On the PW it was because my trail shoes didn't fit, despite having them properly fitted at a decent shop - it was just one of those unfortunate things. On the Challenge my sore feet began about 2/3 in after I walked all day on a tarmaced road, carrying an unecessarily heavy pack. I had no problem before that.

Still, though, this year I'm very keen indeed to avoid foot pain, so I may still go with a heavier than strictly necessary boot of some description to err on the side of caution. I'll look at the ZGs.

PW, it might be better to avoid road walking! On most of the challenge crossings I've done I've finished with a 20-25 mile road walk to the coast that has always made my feet ache, whether wearing boots, shoes or sandals. The boots were worst though. On an early challenge (1981 I think) I remember walking for miles bare foot on the road rather than wear the boots.

Chris, absolutely! I've planned a route for next May that involves no roads at all, as far as I can tell.

I'm beginning to question whether I'll ever wear boots again as my feet are still wrecked after four days before Christmas with Steve Perry in a pair of boots (I don't mean we were both inside a pair of boots, I mean I was wearing boots while walking with Steve... you get my drift).

All walking since has been in a pair of The North Face Fury trail shoes - very very comfortable and only just beginning to smell too much, despite me also wearing them to work, parties, the cinema, the pub... I like to make my shoes work!

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Think I'm gonna go for some Hi-Tec Sierra V-Lite II leather versions as everyone seems to rave about them and you can pick them up for £55 and they weight only just over a kilo, tried a pair on last week and the ankle seemed good on them too!

Wot, with John never changing his shoes and Camoeron never changing his underpants - that office must be something else :-)

Did we ever establish for certain that Cameron even has underpants to need changing? ;-)

I think the suggestion was that he would go commando whne he could. But when he does wear them it appears to be his wife who is the only person that can get him to change them? :-)

Goon
    There's nothing worn under the kilt - it's all in perfectly good working order. Thank you...

Just thinking aout these Terroc trail shoes. What kind of socks do yyu wear with them?

Generally I wear Smartwool Light Hikers with mine, but sometimes I'll use a pair of Sealskins - I can get them to fit with the Mid Light Merino or the Ultra Light (the Mid Light is more comfortable for me) but not the Mid Thermal Merino.

‹bermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    Cameron, just a thought as you might be the kind of guy who as done this.

But, is it a practical thing to do, say the TGO crossing in a kilt? A lightweight 5lb jobby, not the full 8lb weight.

It is something I've thought about, but it doesn't quite fit into the lightweight theme, but it could be fun?

And yes, my mother was a Wallace.

Goon
    I'm not a great lover of kilts Bob, especially in the midgie season.

Goon
    TGO front cover August 1978
    Cameron backpacking in a kilt!!

Ultra King
    "It is something I've thought about, but it doesn't quite fit into the lightweight theme, but it could be fun?"

But it means you don't have to wear underpants. A weightsaving there surely?